This dish has a predominance of the fire element, which is lacking in a woman straight after having a child. It regenerates the nervous system and strengthens the uterus. It also purifies the body before the production of mother’s milk. Yoginis recommend it to prevent from chills after delivery. It should be eaten until the milk comes in (after the colostrum). Once you are breastfeeding, this food is too hot for the baby. It can be prepared in advance and frozen in 3 portions, one for each of the first postnatal days.
- 1/2 cup of ghee: clarified butter
- 1 cup of ginger: cut very fine
- 1 tblspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns: freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional – it helps digestion)
- 2 medium onions: chopped
- 2 cups plain yogurt (preferably organic)
- 1-2 tablespoons chickpea (gram) flour or soya flour (for extra protein).
HOW TO PREPARE :
- Stirfry ginger in the ghee till golden.
- Add the turmeric, pepper and cumin, stirring constantly for 2 min.
- Add the onion and keep cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Add 1+ cup of water, cover the pot and let it cook in medium heat for 15 min (keep enough liquid to avoid burning).
- Add the yogurt and the chickpea flour and keep cooking in low heat for 20 min.
- Eat it with rice and more yogurt and maybe vegetables, for the first 3 days.