For who is this network?
The basic guidelines for the 40-day postnatal period:
- Be cosy at home. Stay close to your baby.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Be conscious about healthy food and drinks. (More about food).
- Start with pelvic floor exercises.
- Long and deep breathing with abdominal breath (bringing the pelvic floor muscle up).
- Avoid abdominal over-stretching.
- Do not strain nor lift anything heavier than your baby.
- For the first few days, lie on your stomach (with a little pillow underneath the belly) to help compress the uterus.
- Stimulate the circulation of the blood in the legs by lying on your back with your legs straight and pulling the toes towards you.
The Postnatal Support Network (PSN) addresses the importance of a well-prepared and relaxing 40 day postnatal period. It is an international organisation with a non-medical and social network, informing families-to-be about this special and delicate time after birth.